Sunday, January 9, 2011

Aracari - little toucan




This little fellow visited a few days ago and I tho't it might be interesting for anyone who doesn't get the opportunity to see the differences, to see the little toucan also. I've found that the keel-billed toucan stays high in the canopy, where the Aracari has come down to eat berries very near the house. This little one visited the same trumpet trees as the big toucan. Wish we had lots of fruit trees so that we'd see them more often. I'm just pleased and excited about these visits. Even tho' folks here call it the "little toucan" it's still a fairly good sized bird at about 16". The keel-billed can be about 21". (I love my "Birds of Belize" book).

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your toucan pictures are great - such exotic birds! I hope we get to see some when we're in Belize.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see some of these fascinating birds in Belize.