Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Howler monkeys

Even tho' we've lived here for six years full-time, I'm still blown away by the sights and sounds of the bush.  We hear the howler monkeys to the SW of us as they move from Xunantunich, down the river and into the hills.  There are also a couple of troops to the east of us, but they've always been in the distance.  About a week ago we were startled to hear the roar really close.  It came from the tall trees just behind our guest house.  During the day they were quiet and I assumed they had moved on, but then, just before dawn, the roaring resumed.  When Rene came to work I followed him as he cut thru the bush, allowing me to get a very restricted view of our visitors.  They reside in the tops of the very tallest trees and ours are so close together, it was nearly impossible to get a clear view.  I was able to get a couple of photos, but in the camera they just looked like a small, black blob in the trees.  When I was able to zoom in, I could see this was a family.  A male, female and below her, hugging her tail was a baby.  Wow!  A couple of days later I heard them again and tried to get a video of them.  I tracked them again and was able to record their sounds, but couldn't actually see them.  So frustrating to not be able to get the sights and sounds together.  At least tho', I have the memories to remind myself of this astounding place. 


I've been trying to upload my photos of the Howler's, but not having any luck.  They've now been here for several weeks, moving between our place and the neighbors.  What a gift to have had this experience.  Our place is a blessing and a comfort every day. 






 



9 comments:

Emily said...

Hearing the howlers ROAR at night when we spent a few days in Punta Gorda (at the lovely Hickatee Cottages) was one of the highlights of our time in Belize. It was absolutely surreal and electrifying! So glad you're getting to experience the magic of these special beasts.

Julie said...

I just read your entire blog! Last post 6 months ago. How are you doing? We are considering Belize, and have enjoyed learning from your blog.

Unknown said...

i love it!!!, do you rent at your guest house?

Unknown said...

I as well wonder how you are last blog 6 months making the journey end of September

Unknown said...

I as well wonder how you are last blog 6 months making the journey end of September

Unknown said...

i love it!!!, do you rent at your guest house?

Unknown said...

I just joined your blog and look forward to reading all of your past postings. We are also in Oregon (Portland) and buying property in Silk Grass, Belize to do the Off-Grid Living. Our dream is to have 4 guest house villas. Your an inspiration, I have so many questions, but will wait to read the rest of your blogs and see if they are answered there before I ask.
:)

Unknown said...

The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Percetakan Jasa Fotocopy Murah Cetak Buku Murah wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)
1. Jasa Fotocopy Murah A3
2. Jasa Cetak Buku Doa Umroh dan Haji
3. Jasa Print Murah Rawamangun Jakarta
4. Jasa Cetak Buku Murah Terbitan ISBN Jakarta Rawamangun
5. Jasa Cetak Buku Menu Rertoran Sintesis Semi Kulit Jakarta 24 Jam
6. Jasa Fotocopy Murah 24 di Jakarta
7. Jasa Fotocopy Murah 24 di Jakarta
8. Jasa Fotocopy Murah 24 di Jakarta
9. Jasa Fotocopy Murah 24 di Jakarta

Percetakan Murah Rawamangun Jakarta said...

The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Percetakan Jasa Fotocopy Murah Cetak Buku Murah wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)
Jasa Cetak Fotocopy Murah Cepat Express Jakarta Timur Rawamangun
Jasa Fotocopy Cetak Buku Murah ISBN Nada Rawamangun Jakarta Timur Bisa Ditunggu