Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Our little Mennonite house






















The same day that the trailer arrived, we heard from Allen Reimer that our little house was finally ready to be delivered. We had ordered it some months previously, but asked him to delay the actual delivery until we could be there. It's just a little 16' x 20' house with a 6' front porch.

We were in the same dilemma with the house as we had been with the trailer. The road was wet and the hill was too steep for the heavy load. For moment panic reigned and then I had Amelio (our future builder) jump in our old Trooper with me and we dashed down Paslow Falls Rd to the Mahogany sawmill. I don't speak Spanish, so Amelio relayed our problem to them. They had seen the house go by on the truck. The manager of the mill agreed to take a chance and drove a huge caterpillar loader up to our road and, wonder of all wonders, hooked on to the large truck that was hauling the house, and pulled the whole lot up the hill. Hallelujah! I was a nervous wreck.

We were frustrated that we had missed seeing them bring the house across the bridge in Bullet Tree. I had hoped to get photos of them cranking the house up in the air to get past the railings and then dropping it back down. Actually, watching our house going up that steep hill was excitement enough. I don't know how they do it, but it stayed put and made it up the hill just fine. These few photos don't really show how steep and precarious it all was, but they may give others who are contemplating getting one of these houses, the Spanish Lookout folks can put these houses almost anywhere.

One it was up, they jockeyed it into place, putting the posts underneath and then dropped it into place. Our course the site isn't level, but the house is generally about 3' off the ground. We've designated it as our "caretaker house" altho' who knows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greta pics - what an adventure.

Barmy Belle said...

Hi there, I know this is a couple of years later, but do you know the pricing of the Menonite homes? I read about them in Lan Sluder's guide to Belize, but I am having trouble pricing them.
I am planning on moving to Belize in 3-5 years, and will be living on a budget. I want to buy a small plot of land and build one of the larger pre-builts that they sell. Any info you could give me would be great.
I have read through your blog, btw, and I'm anxious for your next updates.
Thanks,
Jill